(The instrument shown above is a 1983 Guild archtop, Duane Eddy Model DE-500 – FM. The pickups were most likely assembled by DeArmond, using older stock components, such as the gold-plated CF Martin archtop pickup housings for neck and bridge. The white coil formers are probably standard Model 2000 types, as previously used by Guild. (Photo copyright Kevin of Retrofret Vintage Guitars, Brooklyn, NY, USA (B0289)).
The Guild Guitar Company was founded in 1952 by Alfred Dronge, a guitarist and music-store owner, and George Mann, a former executive with the Epiphone Guitar Company. The company was initially based at 536 Pearl Street, Manhattan, where the first instruments were produced in 1953. In 1956, the company moved to Hoboken, New Jersey. The new premises quadrupled the workspace to 6,000 sq. feet. In 1967, the company moved again, to Westerly, Rhode Island. Fender Musical Instruments Corporation purchased Guild in 1995. In 2014, the company was acquired by the Cordoba Music Group.
The Guild Guitar Company used a number of DeArmond guitar pickups. The standard Model 2000, finished in chrome, usually with a white coil former, was used in the Starfire and other instruments.
The Guild 3/4 size guitar Model M-65 Freshman was fitted with this standard-size pickup with a unique top detail, not found on any other guitar so far.[/one_half_last]
Two photos above: 1983 DE500 Duane Eddy guitar. These pickups appear to be two CF Martin versions of the Model 2000 pickup, but with white coil formers and gold-finished housings. However, the coil formers are slightly recessed and are more likely to be from the standard Model 2000 pickup (photo copyright TV Junior)[/one_half_last]
DE500 Duane Eddy guitar. Two standard Model 2000 pickups with white coil former and gold-plated housing (3rd Photo copyright Kevin, Bristol, UK)
This 1964 Guild Johnny Smith guitar (in the two photos above) is shown with the DeArmond Artist Award pickup in chrome with a black insert. The DeArmond volume controller pot with screwed connection and tapered conical transparent knob is shown attached to the lower Right Hand side of the pickguard (B0556).